Written by: Nicki Hari
Last Updated: January 17th, 2023
At Primrose Lodge, we provide addiction recovery programmes comprising a range of holistic therapies which address every aspect of addiction.
Through this combination of treatments, you will come to recognise and understand the root causes of your condition, enabling you to break free from addiction with a fresh approach. Despite common misconceptions, addiction is not a choice and it isn’t solely a physical dependence on a particular substance or behaviour. Addiction is a complex illness with physical, mental and psychological elements that requires a multi-faceted approach to recovery.
What is holistic addiction therapy?
Holistic addiction therapy is characterised by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account their mental and social factors, not just their physical symptoms. The term holistic is used to describe therapy that treats the mind, body and spirit, not just one individual aspect.
Holistic therapy for addiction is vital because even when physical dependence has been broken through detox if the underlying causes of addiction have not been addressed, there is a high chance of relapse. This is particularly true after an individual finishes rehab treatment and returns home where they face all the same triggers and stressors that were present before they entered treatment.
Holistic addiction therapy at Primrose Lodge
Primrose Lodge offers a wide range of holistic addiction therapy approaches including:
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT): DBT is designed to help you regulate your emotions and develop coping strategies for managing difficult situations when cravings arise or triggers are present.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): CBT is a form of psychotherapy that helps you to identify and challenge unhelpful thoughts, beliefs and behaviours related to your addiction.
- Mindfulness-based therapies: Mindfulness techniques such as meditation can help you develop self-awareness, enabling you to stay in the present moment, gain insight into your thoughts and feelings, and remain calm in the face of cravings or other triggers.
- Group therapy: Group therapy allows you to connect with others in recovery and gain support from peers who have been through similar experiences.
- 12-Step: The 12-Step approach is an abstinence-based programme that has been used successfully for many years to help people in recovery from addiction.
- Motivational interviewing: Motivational interviewing is a form of counselling which helps you to explore and resolve ambivalence around changing behaviours associated with addiction.
- One-to-one therapy: Individual therapy allows you to focus on individual areas of need, such as trauma, anxiety or depression that may be perpetuating your addiction.
- Art therapy: Art therapy is a creative therapy that helps you explore and express your thoughts and feelings through painting, collages and other types of art. This can be very helpful if you don’t feel confident expressing yourself verbally.
- Psychodynamic therapy: Psychodynamic therapy helps you to explore and understand the unconscious factors that may be contributing to your addiction so you can gain insight and make lasting changes
This combination of holistic addiction therapy approaches offered at Primrose Lodge enables you to address all aspects of your addiction, helping you recognise the underlying causes and develop the skills and strategies necessary for overcoming addiction. Our holistic approach ensures that every aspect of your well-being is addressed so that you can begin on the path to a healthier, happier and addiction-free life.
Why does holistic addiction therapy work?
Some people believe that just detoxing from drugs or alcohol or trying not to engage in addictive behaviours is enough to break free from addiction. However, we know that relapse occurs when underlying factors such as mental health problems or unresolved trauma are not addressed alongside detox. Some of these underlying factors include:
- Mental health issues: Anxiety, depression and other mental health problems can contribute to addiction and must be addressed in treatment.
- Unresolved trauma: Traumatic events in the past can lead to emotional pain which is often self-medicated with drugs or alcohol.
- Triggers and cravings: Understanding triggers that lead to cravings and developing strategies to manage them is essential for recovery.
- Stress and difficult life situations: Learning skills for managing stress and dealing with tough moments in your life can help you stay in control when cravings or other triggers arise.
- Isolation: Connecting with peers in recovery and creating a strong social network of support is important for long-term recovery from addiction.
By systematically addressing these causes through holistic addiction therapy, you can gain the insight and skills necessary to break free from addiction and regain control of your life.
As our former client Simon explains:
“To recover from addiction, you need to look at your history timeline, where it all started, and work from there.”
What are the benefits of holistic therapy for addiction?
There are so many benefits of undergoing holistic addiction therapy including:
- Freedom from addiction: Holistic addiction therapy helps to free you from the grip of your addiction so that you can reclaim control over your life.
- Improved mental health: Addressing underlying mental health issues helps to reduce stress and anxiety, allowing you to gain control over your emotions and behaviour.
- Improved physical health: Overcoming addictions can help you to heal the physical damage caused by years of substance abuse.
- Increased self-esteem: With the insight gained through therapy, you can develop an improved sense of self-worth and confidence to tackle life’s challenges.
- Improved relationships: Addressing issues related to addiction helps you to build healthier relationships with loved ones and repair the damage done by addictive behaviour.
- A sense of purpose: Through therapy, you can gain clarity on your life goals and embark on a journey of self-discovery.
How can I begin holistic addiction therapy?
If you are struggling with addiction and are ready to take the first important step on the road to recovery, we are here to help. Our admissions team can answer any questions you have about our holistic addiction therapy programmes and guide you through the process of getting the help you need – get in touch today.